Kids are more successful in school when parents play an active role in their homework. Of course “helping” with homework shouldn't mean doing it! Here are some helpful hints to help you guide their way.
- Make a homework-friendly area in your home, a place that’s well lit and with all school supplies within easy reach.
- Schedule a regular daily homework time and stick to it.
- Help your child make a homework plan, possibly dividing the work into more manageable (and less intimidating) chunks.
- Keep distractions to a minimum, no TV, loud music, or phone calls (unless it’s with a classmate to discuss an assignment).
- Praise their work and efforts. Post an aced test or art project on the refrigerator! Brag about academic achievements to relatives where your kids can hear you!