March is National Nutrition Month. Enjoying healthier plates is easy when you make it half fruits and veggies. They add color, flavor, and texture— plus vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Try to make two cups of fruit and two and a half cups of vegetables your daily goal. Enjoy more fruits and vegetables every day with these tips:
- Use fruit & veggies as a pizza topping. Try adding blueberries, spinach, strawberries, zucchinis, all are yummy options on a tomato saucy and cheesy pizza.
- Blend up a breakfast smoothie with lowfat milk, frozen strawberries, and a banana.
- Grill up some colorful veggie kabobs packed with tomatoes, green and red peppers, mushrooms, and onions.
- Keep a bowl of fresh and colorful fruit in the middle of your kitchen table, so everyone can easily grab something nutritious as an on-the-go snack.
- Turn any omelet into a heartier and healthier meal by stuffing it with broccoli, squash, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, or onions, and lowfat sharp cheddar cheese.
- Get saucy with fruit! Purée some apples, berries, peaches, or pears in a blender for a thick ‘n sweet sauce you can dollop on grilled or broiled seafood or poultry, pancakes, French toast, or waffles, mmm.
- “Sandwich” fruits and vegetables IN! Add some nutritional pizzazz to sandwiches with layered slices of pineapple, apples, peppers, cucumbers, avocados, or tomatoes.
- Make fruit your dessert. Slice a banana lengthwise and top it with a scoop of lowfat frozen yogurt, sprinkle with a tablespoon of chopped nuts and enjoy!
- Do up some whole wheat pita wedges in hummus, Good Health® chips in salsa, strawberries or apple slices in lowfat yogurt, or graham crackers in applesauce, you can do it, go for it!